Monday, August 27, 2007

Romney back peddles on abortion

Former Mass. Governor Mitt Romney is already softening his luke-warm position on the sanctity of life.

Last week Romney in an interview with a local ABC-TV affiliate said he believes that state should have the right to legalize abortion.

Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney said Tuesday in a Nevada television interview that he supports letting states "make their own decision" about whether to keep abortion legal.

"My view is that the Supreme Court has made an error in saying at the national level one size fits all for the whole nation," Romney told Nevada political columnist Jon Ralston in a televised interview. "Instead, I would let states make their choices."

Asked by Ralston if it was "OK" with him that Nevada is a "pro-choice state," Romney said, "I'd let states make their own decision in this regard. My view, of course, is I'm a pro-life individual. That's the position I support. But, I'd let states have this choice rather than let the federal government have it." [Emphasis added]

Romney hasn't even won the nomination yet, and is already trying to appeal to moderates. Statements like this, void his supposed pro-life conversion.

Either you are opposed to the murder of innocent children or you are not, there is no middle ground.



Read the full story here.

No comments: